Thursday, April 9, 2009

Vigilette's Annual Variety Show



Vigilette's Annual Variety Show
Last Saturday was the Vigilette's (auxillary of the Vigilantes), Annual Variety Show. Michael has lived here in Tombstone for 15 years, I for 5. This show has been held for at least 20 years. Neither of us has ever attended this show. Actually, I never even knew about it. It is usually done in conjuction with the Rose Festival, which we have also never attended. (Except for the year Michael was the MC for the Fashion Show.) But that's another story. Anyway, now they have combined the Rose Festival (which is a celebration of the blooming of the WORLD'S LARGEST ROSE TREE), with a Founder's Day celebration. I know this is confusing, but if I went into anymore detail, we'd be here all day.
So, about 2 months ago Betty Davis of the Vigilette's called and asked us to do the sound for their show. We agreed that we would. We were a bit surprised that they had asked us, (if you knew small town Tombstone politics, you would be too), but we forged ahead, not really knowing what to expect.
We were told we could set up for the rehearsal and then leave the equipment there overnight. The event was being held in historic Schieffelin Hall and all would be locked up and safe. We found out later that there would be other things going on there the next day, so we wouldn't be able to leave the equipment there. OK, a little bump, as it's a pain to set it up for an hour's rehearsal just to take it down, put it in the Jeep and haul it home again, only to do it all again the next evening. But, it doesn't take us long, since we have a good system down. NO WHINING!
The rehearsal, wasn't really a rehearsal, as nothing was done in the order of the show and most of the acts weren't there, BUT, I was really glad to be there. Schieffelin Hall was built in the early 1880's and the acoustics are AWESOME! After all, it's designed for stage performances without the technology of microphones. I'm used to adjusting the sound for RV clubhouses in all their varied sizes, gyms, private homes, amphitheaters and the great outdoors. But this was something new. As I sat in the wings, the music and performers were muted and it was hard for me to balance music and voice. I walked into the hall to check my adjustments and WOW! It was ear shattering. So, I tried to adjust on stage, then run out to the hall and adjust some more, but I just couldn't hear it right. I was blasting the music and drowning out the singers. So, the night of the show, Michael set me up in the hall at the foot of the stage. Much better. I could hear and see the performers.
So here we are, show night. I asked for a list of the performers and songs, which I was promised the night before at rehearsal. What I got was a 3 page list of names, just names. Since a lot of these folks were not at rehearsal I had no ideal who they were. As I tried to sort it out, the woman in charge was frantically running around getting herself ready for her hula dance performance. I didn't have everyone's music and didn't know what songs anyone was doing. Needless to say I was a bit frantic myself. Thank goodness, Michael taught me about professionalism, because left to my own will, I would have lit into someone. I have to admit I did get a little snippy and had to reign it in. My thought was, 'when the music is screwed up because they didn't give me the correct information, the audience will look at me as if I'm the idiot'. So, I guess it was my pride that helped me be proactive instead of reactive and I was able to finally track down the performers and get what I needed. The only problem was a couple of persnickety CD's that didn't like our player. Oh, and don't forget the CD with dried ice cream on it. (I kid you not, Michael actually licked it to get the sticky stuff off and said it was ice cream). It happened to be the CD of a small child. Go figure.
After about the first 6 or 7 songs, I finally calmed down enough to actually enjoy the show. It was VERY entertaining. Michael performed 3 songs. One was with our hairdresser Patti, who is a riot to be around in everyday life. Michael sang, "I Swear" and she acted out a disgruntled housewife, I can't even begin to describe it. Hilarious. Linda Dailing, who teaches voice and performing for a living is an awesome performer in her own right. There was a little girl and a young man who attend Linda's school, Doc Diamond our good friend and saxophone player, Nickel Nancy, another good friend, who will be touring behind us this summer. There were hula dancers, tap dancers and belly dancers. There were also several comedy routines, all very funny. The way things started, I was afraid. I was very, very afraid. But it went very well. The audience was very active and appreciative. A good night for all! Best of all, the proceeds went to our local food bank. Until next time... ( Photo of Nickel and Christi )

All the Best, Michael & Christi
See our other Blog
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment